How to prepare for GATE 2023 Chemical engineering: If you want to secure a good rank in the GATE Chemical engineering examination then you must have an answer to the popular question “How to prepare for GATE Chemical engineering?”
Here I will be sharing our successful expert advice with you that we have gained with experience over time.
How many GATE aspirants appeared in the GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) year 2020?
You might be wondering why I am asking you to have this knowledge. My dear GATE aspirant it is the first step towards the GATE Chemical Engineering preparation because it will give you an insight into the difficulty level of the examination and what should be your strategy to crack the GATE exam.
GATE 2020 was conducted by the Indian Institute of Delhi. To a press release by IITD on 13th Mar’2020, 858890 candidates registered in 25 papers, and 685088 candidates (79.76%) appeared in the examination where only 18.8% of candidates qualified for GATE 2020.
By analyzing the above passing percentage we can say that the GATE exam conducting authority filtered out 81.2% of candidates. Now a question arises why a huge number of candidates failed this exam. The answer to this question is a flaw in their GATE preparation strategy. Don’t worry you will be in 18.8% because you are on this page.
Let’s get a brief idea about the GATE examination.
What is GATE exam?
- The full form of GATE is the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is basically a national examination on the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering / Technology / Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Arts, Commerce and Science.
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education (MoE), Government of India.
- The GATE score would reflect the relative performance level of the candidate in a particular subject, which is quantified based on several years of examination data.
What is GATE exam for?
- Qualifying in GATE is a mandatory requirement for seeking admission and/or financial assistance to: (i)Master’s programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and (ii) Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Arts and Science, in the institutions supported by the MoE and other Government agencies. Even in some colleges and institutions, which admit students without MoE scholarship/assistantship, the GATE qualification is mandatory.
- Many Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) have been using the GATE score in their recruitment process like ONGC, IOCL etc.
- A few foreign universities are accepting gate score for admission in master’s programs.
Working Tips-How to prepare for GATE chemical engineering without coaching
Preparation of GATE chemical engineering is more dependent on your dedication to your desire rather than on coaching.
The coaching institute will provide you with- Environment, Guidance, Notes, and a common strategy. If you can avail these 4 essential things on your own then you don’t have to enroll yourself in any coaching.
Moreover, you can start your preparation from gate chemical engineering books.
1. Plan a Strategy according to the Time you have
There is no doubt one can crack the GATE exam with 1 month of preparation, you might have heard “To crack the GATE exam in 1 month, 3 months or 6 months are more than enough”. Please don’t trap yourself into this confidence without knowing the specimen’s subject knowledge and practice that one has done.
The right time to start preparing for GATE chemical engineering is NOW!, Don’t wait for the last 1,3, or 6 months.
No matter if you are in the final year of Chemical Engineering or not, start spending at least 2 hours on Aptitude and Maths daily, Why? because if you are good in both you are securing minimum 25 marks in the GATE exam. Moreover, Having a great practice in aptitude will also be beneficial in college placement exams.
Let me tell you a true and basic benefit of having excellent aptitude is the development of your mind and skills, My definition of skills is relevant to the skills that GATE exam conducting bodies are looking for in a qualified candidate as I explained in GATE Mathematics syllabus.
In a nutshell, Plan your time to sharpen your mind and cover the Chemical engineering syllabus ASAP.
2. Analyse Exam pattern
- Do you know GATE Chemical engineering Syllabus and exam pattern? If Not then check GATE Chemical engineering syllabus. You will get an idea what are the important topics from GATE exam point of view.
- Now analyze the previous year’s question papers
- You will find answers to the asked questions very easy if you know how to use specific formula, So what we can derive from this analysis is that most of the GATE chemical engineering exam questions are designed is such a way that test your conceptual knowledge and how aptly you can apply it in solving a problem.
Example: Just open your Mass transfer book or notes and look for an expression for molecular Diffusion through non-diffusing B. It has different expressions for the different driving forces.
The only thing that can help you is your conscious practice. After analyzing the Exam patterns solve the previous year’s GATE chemical engineering question papers consciously. Here consciously means- you are understanding the pattern and mindset of the examiner.
3. Allocate your study time as per Subject wise weightage
We all have 24 hours in a day but who utilizes each second effectively matters.
Understanding subjectwise Marks distribution is a crucial step in GATE Chemical engineering preparation. After Analyzing previous years’ question papers we have prepared GATE Chemical Engineering subject wise weightage.
Try to cover the syllabus as soon as possible and start solving the previous year’s questions for GATE Chemical engineering. Time allocation to each subject should be according to their weightage.
Bonus tip: Just brush up on your concepts and immediately start solving questions, If you find it difficult to solve a question in the first attempt then don’t be worried check its solution and understand the trick that you were not getting. revise the concept and solve it again.
4. Impervious study plan
Never Plan to fail, Never fail to plan
If you can study longer hours with undivided attention then well and good. Many candidates find it hard if you are one of them then its Okay, start following these tips-
- Plan and write down your timetable where you can spend 25 minutes on a subject and then 5 minutes on a break. This will keep you fresh and attentive throughout the day. You can keep 25 minutes for a subject as per your need.
- In your break, you can drink or eat or utilize it any way you want but make sure you never miss the timeline. At the end of the day, you can check how productive you are in a day and start improving.
Now, what else is remaining? only your dedication towards improving focus time.
5. Practice and self-feedback
A key element in the GATE Chemical engineering preparation is Practice.
GATE Chemical Engineering previous year question paper:
|GATE Year||Previous year Question Paper||Answer Key|
|2022||Chemical GATE 2022||Download|
|2021||Chemical GATE 2021||Download|
|2020||Chemical GATE 2020||Download|
|2019||Chemical GATE 2019||Download|
|2018||Chemical GATE 2018||Download|
|2017||Chemical GATE 2017||Download|
|2016||Chemical GATE 2016||Download|
|2015||Chemical GATE 2015||Download|
- Practice Test series and Previous year’s question papers-
- then checking their solutions-
- analyzing the frame, and making short notes on each mistake you have done-
- Will take you towards sure success and ultimately a good rank.
Make sure you are consistent in practice.
6. Stay Inspired
One of the biggest challenges for some students is to keep themselves motivated. In this competitive world where everyone wants to be in the top 100 ranks, taking care of small factors is important.
I would recommend you watch top-rank holder’s videos on youtube and read them on quora to stay motivated. Do regular Physical exercise. Do Running, show up your aggression and desire to succeed, It will boost your confidence and take you through it amicably.
Always remember, NO pain NO gain.
You can post your daily challenges, I’ll be more than happy to help you. Thank me later 🙂
7. Choose the Best GATE chemical engineering reference books
With having a great practice of previous year’s questions you may come in the cream of GATE Chemical engineering exam qualifying candidates.
But you know what makes a difference between crowd and topper?
The simple answer is a command on the fundamentals of each topic of chemical engineering subjects. No one born with this. All made it over here from the best sources of knowledge.
|GATE Chemical Engineering Subject||Books to refer|
|Engineering Mathematics||B S Grewal|
|Heat Transfer||Heat transfer by BK Dutta|
|Mass Transfer||Principles of Mass Transfer and Separation Processes-BK Dutta|
|Fluid Mechanics||Fluid Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications by John. M. Cimbala Yunus A. Cengel|
A Textbook of Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machines by R.K. Bansal
|Process calculations||Stoichiometry and Process Calculations by Narayanan K.V. and Lakshmikutty B|
Basic Principles and Calculations by David M. Himmelblau
Introduction to Process Calculations K A Gavhane (Author)
|Basic Thermodynamics||Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by J. M. Smith (Author), H.C. Ness (Author)|
Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by J. M. Smith (Author), H.C. Ness (Author)
Thermodynamics,An Engineering Approach by Cengel
|Mechanical operations||Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering – McCabe smith|
|Chemical Reaction Engineering||Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering by H. Scott Fogler(Author)|
Chemical Reaction Engineering by Octave Levenspiel (Author)
|Process Dynamics and Control||Chemical Process Control-George Stephanopoulos (Author)|
Process System Analy.&Control by coughanowr
|Plant Design and Economics||Plant Design and Economics for Chemical Engineers-Max stone peters|
|Chemical Technology||Dryden’s Outlines Of Chemical Technology-Rao (Author), M Gopala (Author)|
FAQ: How to prepare for GATE Chemical engineering exam
To crack the GATE exam you need only 3 hours. You can crack the GATE exam with the preparation of 1 month easily if you have studied well during your engineering semesters. A month is just sufficient to do practice mock tests and last year’s papers. If this is your case then you can definitely crack the GATE exam in a month.
Believe me, GATE exam is not tough in the case of chemical engineering if we compare it with mechanical and electrical because it has a comparatively small syllabus and less competition. With a proper preparation strategy, you can easily get a top 100 rank in GATE chemical engineering.
The truth is your own notes are the best study material for you. The fact is top rank holder prepares their own notes as the syllabus is vast so after covering all the best books and semester class notes your own notes is the best material for GATE chemical engineering. Now the question comes, how to prepare notes. Keep following we will be posting soon.
Yes, Chemical engineers can give GATE exam. By following the best strategy you can achieve a good rank as well.
No, GATE exam is for 100 marks. the marks that you are talking about are normalised marks presented in the GATE scorecard.
GATE Chemical engineering syllabus is divided into 3 parts, Engineering Mathematics, General Aptitude, and Chemical engineering core subjects.
GATE exam for chemical engineers is nothing but to test their aptitude in Chemical engineering. It is designed by Top IITs and IISc with the thought to check your knowledge and how you apply that knowledge to solve engineering problems. You would start loving engineering problems once start preparing for the GATE exam.
No, the GATE Chemical engineering exam is considered to be easier compared to other core engineering branches. With a strategic study plan, anyone can crack the GATE chemical engineering exam readily.
GATE exam is conducted once a year for all renowned science and engineering branches.
Preparation duration for the GATE Chemical engineering exam depends upon the knowledge and aptitude you have. One can crack the GATE chemical engineering exam with the preparation of 3 months only. The most important factor is the right strategy in the preparation.
Engineering Mathematics, General Aptitude, and Chemical engineering core subjects such as Heat transfer, Mass transfer, Fluid mechanics, Process calculations, Chemical reaction engineering, Process design and economics, Process control, Chemical technology, Mechanical operations, thermodynamics, etc.
GATE Chemical engineering aspirants must target 80 marks to gain a good rank in the examination. With proper preparation strategy, students can achieve good GATE scores in Chemical engineering.
it would be a magic if you can crack GATE without studying. We have proved strategy that you can follow to crack GATE without studying much.